Pulling the old engine, and removing the tins, was the easiest part.
I tried capturing the mounds and mounds of oil crud on the intake valves, but even Lightroom can’t save this one
Mmm, so sexy.
The current wiring, while at a bare minimum of necessary wires, was quite messy.
We also wanted to do something with the engine bay. Clean up the crud and maybe cover the rusty spots.
(pictured: BlazeCut tube – still one of my favorite purchases for peace-of-mind)
Tins removed, and out on the rocks.
“Zundfolge 1-2-3-4.” Buddy speaks fluent German, says it’s the equivalent of “firing order”.
My buddy has this actually really good Ryobi pressure washer. It’s leaps and bounds better than the Harbor Freight “Blue” washer I have. After he accidentally hit his toe with it (and promptly sliced it right the fuck open), he switched to boots.
The Exhaust extensions I made. This was leaky as shit on the drive over, so we eventually pulled it all apart (the stainless fasteners seized solid together in one single drive, but the “Grade 8” O’reilly’s metric bolts were easily removed, hmm) and re-sealed it.
The transmission seal is clearly leaking. It was 50/50 which one was causing the wetness at the engine/bellhousing joining point, and now we knew. I replaced the seal after washing it out.
Pressure plate. I didn’t have the funds for a new pressure plate (they’re like $150-200), but I got a new clutch, so that’s 50% of the way there. Despite the pattern, it’s fairly flat on the edge of my caliper slide.
Taking care not to hit wires or the transmission drive shaft directly
Old and busted / new hotness
And suddenly I understand what a clutch centering tool is for
New engine is on the table now
…and the old is thrown to the side.
A secret pic my buddy snapped. Me inhaling red spray paint and getting high as a fucking kite.
Painting the tins.
We spent the first night (last night) fitting the painted tins. At least, when you’re an EMT, you have an infinite supply of gloves, and can change them if they ever get any grime on them. Don’t want to mark up the fresh paint!
Rear fan shroud on.
And, the next morning, the front fan shroud on.
I decided to paint the fan. Why not?
Back plate on.
Now, preface. Between the next two pictures, about an hour passed. The lift table was an absolute godsend compared to how we did this last time, with a jack and a piece of wood. Even with it, though, getting the engine mated up is a trial of patience. We eventually got it on by having my buddy up top holding the table, and me on the ground watching the bellhousing mating point, and giving directions. I ended up spinning the flywheel with a flathead screwdriver while he was shaking the engine side-to-side. That got it over the crankshaft splines, and it mated up.
Starting to work on some of the wiring.
I just like this photo. Victory!
We discovered that, if we backed the bus up to the edge of the driveway slope, it gave us a few more inches of clearance.
And, the rest of the gubbins on.