On winter heat

We meet again.

Y9u0UKYh.jpg

The previous owner had welded in a veritable fuck-ton of patches on the floor, but didn’t seal them at all. Step one was climbing underneath the bus

s9xUhQ1h.jpg

and using a wire brush to take off as much rust from the bottoms of the panels as I could.

After that, I sealed and coated each patch panel with some black silicone. I don’t have 3M patch sealer, so :shrug: whatever

Dvz5oHel.jpg

cfuy12xh.jpg

8JodrGNh.jpg

After using up nearly a full tube of black silicone, I cut off the rusted hose clamps for the heater system, and pulled the hoses.

nz4NRUFh.jpg

One shakedown later and I have:

RBjabmLh.jpg

1972 Dime
1975 nickel
melted Matchbox Porsche 911
hair clip
crayon
spring
bolt/washer
a fairly large superball.

However, a heater system that is stuck on 100% “defrost” isn’t useful. The heating/cooling levers on the dashboard haven’t done anything except open the fresh air vent since I got the bus. I had to pull a bowden cable and re-solder on the end, but now it works! I can adjust between defrost, and floor heater. Since I’ve cleaned out the junk from the hose, the rear heater even works now.

lT4Aichh.jpg

ZyxHPeih.jpg

Since I had the dashboard apart, I decided to replace the volt meter with a switch for the windshield washer fluid. The stock bus system uses a super-soakeresque pressurized container that holds the fluid. The fluid goes up a tube that is woven into the wire harness to the steering column, and is merely pinched shut with a blunt plastic spade. Pulling the windshield washer lever back un-pinches the tube, and wiper fluid flows to the sprayers.

As you can tell, the stock setup sucks. You have to inflate the container regularly, seals for the system fail all of the time, and the tubing leaks right into the most critical components. Superior German Engineering.

I put a cheap ebay washer fluid pump on the stock bottle, drilled out a small vent hole, and put the switch in. The voltmeter was something I had hacked in last year to cover up a bit of cracked dash, but I did it terribly. Since I now have a voltmeter in the rear, the switch is more useful.

EJtEHd2h.jpg

IyROFh8h.jpg

UNOjxd9h.jpg

QEWlzg8h.jpg

agk2SzKh.jpg

ELgdniqh.jpg

For the first time in I don’t know how many years, the bus has working windscreen washer sprayers.

Advertisements

Tell me what I've done wrong here:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s