Ugh, here goes the play money
And, let’s look at tomorrow’s temperature
Tools. MY BODY IS READY
Compared to old:
While I was down there, I noticed I had a remanufactured alternator:
Removing the exhaust, along with the PO’s (and my) futile attempts to stem this exhaust leak.
Annealing the copper exhaust gaskets, because Amazon forgot to include mine in this last order:
Step 1: remove fuckered stud (sometimes the longest step)
Step 2: Drill out hole
Step 3: Counterbore hole
Step 4: Tap hole
(Step 4a: clean out tapped hole)
Step 5: Using insert tool and plenty of oil, thread in the Time-Sert insert. Insert will initially thread in easily, then it will become difficult for 3-5 turns at the tool expands the last few threads in the insert to lock it into place.
Step 6: Using high-temperature red loctite, thread in new exhaust stud.
The exhaust gaskets were cool by now, so I flattened them out and gave them a very light sanding, and will re-anneal them before installation.
(pictured: sanding not complete)
Also, note how the PO or PPO or PPPO has already done this to the other cylinder:
Okay, so I had to time-sert two other studs, as they also spun out when I went to do the final nut tightening on them after installing the tailpipe (both sides are loosely installed, tailpipe is installed and tightened, then you tighten the manifolds to the head — otherwise they often are too “narrow” to allow the tailpipe to go on).
After that, there was one broken off stud left. Vice grips weren’t cutting it, and I tried torching the area and cooling over and over, along with penetrating fluid. Eventually, I went on a vision quest for a stud extractor set.
Harbor freight was a no-go, so was Home Depot. Autozone and the local Oreilly’s didn’t have one, either. Defeated, I turned around to go home, but stopped off at a NAPA just to check. They didn’t have one in stock, either, but on the way out I spotted a yellow Irwin blister pack on their “will call” order wall. There it was! Exactly what I needed!
I asked about it, but the cashier said it was a customer pickup. On the way out, the manager called me back and said that the guy was supposed to pick it up weeks ago, so he let me purchase it.
Armed with the 8mm extractor, I attacked the stud after another heating and cooling round.
It snapped off nearly at the base of the head.
Having wasted $30, I decided to call Time of Death and just went on with the project. I know that may seem like bad ownership, but when I started this project last weekend each cylinder only had ONE stud holding the exhaust on (4 total), and now only ONE was missing (7 total). I’m calling that a success anyway, and resumed reassembly.
I also used two, full tubes of that silica-based exhaust sealing paste on every joint and crack and rattle.
Also, a link to the exhaust studs I purchased, because they’re WAY CHEAPER than the VW-sourced ones at $8/pop.