On poly foam

The foam engine compartment seal, being OG and brittle, was a casualty of the engine pull I did a few weeks ago. I thought everything would be fine if I ran with the hood popped a little for short-term driving, but after this thought I had the issue with my beetle’s emissions test, so the bus was put into daily driver service. 18+ miles each way to work, 4 days a week, is a little too much driving to be doing without the compartment seal, as a large portion of the hot air gets pulled back up into the compartment.

I looked online at prices for a replacement seal, and…

83qFxAR.png

6Xg3U8p.jpg
well fuck that.

In the spirit of, well, my spirit to do things cheaply, I decided to take a cheaper route.

wqyyAE8l.png

Since it’s so cheap, I bought two, in case I fucked one up.

SZX21oil.jpg

OKhffJul.jpg
(gloves because touching foam gives me the skeevies real bad)

I used my YiHUA $15 soldering station with a flat cutting-style blade to melt the foam apart. Finally a use for that bigass iron tip.
CnqLZlGl.jpg

It’s nasty, but I’ll just put this side on the bottom.
6cdGYYql.jpg

All cut up (blurry)
MFd1TlIl.jpg

uau4Tmel.jpg

bCkss0Ul.jpg

1paymi3l.jpg

Note to future readers (there aren’t any future readers): this takes 1.5 packages to get the total length, so buy two packages. Then you also have an extra piece for fuckups, or to patch holes in other parts of the tins.

Advertisements

Tell me what I've done wrong here:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s